A Re-imagined Product Launch
10 minutes read
Imagine your company has come up with a great product that is sure to capture a greater market share. Your management has given a green signal to launch it. You are now faced with the challenge of driving a successful new product launch during this crisis when everyone is working from home
How can you efficiently provide new product training to your reps virtually? How can you transition them from face-to-face sellers to virtual sellers? How can you set them up for success in this virtual setting?
To do this, you need to re-image the whole process of the new product launch and make it suitable for today’s scenario. This blog will help you with exactly that. You will learn how to reimagine your product launch for the new normal.
Virtual New Product Launch
Kick-off the launch by bringing everyone together for a one-hour virtual call where you announce the new product launch, training and discuss other details of it. This builds excitement amongst the reps about the new product launch.
You need to do pre-training before the actual new product training. This ensures that your trainees have the necessary base-line knowledge before coming into the actual training.
This really ensures that your reps have a solid foundational knowledge before they came into their first new product training session. Also, this gives the trainers a clear idea about the skill-levels of the audience that they are going to train
3. New Product training
In these sessions, along with the new product training and sales training, you can also occasionally have:
Regional breakout sessions
Virtual workshops for reps where they can do roleplaying, practice sales pitches, and discuss various subjects
This is where you test the sales readiness of your reps. Once the product training is done, conduct a final test, and certify the reps who are eligible to sell the new product.
5. Reinforce Knowledge
Once the reps are certified to sell the new product, make sure that they keep in touch with the new product knowledge. This ensures that they retain what they have learned and are able to effectively use it in their job.
6. Measure the Success
Also, by keeping a track of the metrics, you can reward and motivate the top performers. Like, you can reward people who,
Sold the highest number of units of the new product
Generated highest amount of the new product sales revenue
Met or exceeded their new product sales target before everybody else
This way you can successfully drive the new product sales
How to make the most out of the virtual training sessions?
Here are some best practices that you can follow in the live training sessions to make the most out of them.
1. Mandatory Cameras on: Make it mandatory for everyone to keep their cameras on during the live sessions. When everyone in the session is able to see each other, it establishes a human connection virtually and engages everyone effectively
2. Audience engagement: In a virtual training environment, you need to think of your audience as monitors (not literally). What I am trying to say metaphorically is that they are going to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity.
It’s a natural phenomenon that a human’s brain automatically goes into passive mode if there is no participation. This results in the audience getting disengaged from the training.
So, keep them active by
Making them take polls or surveys in between
Call out people and ask questions
Ask them to share a story or their experience related to a particular subject
Or take questions from them
A golden rule would be: Do not talk continuously for more than 5 minutes without interaction.
3. Guest Speakers: Invite SMEs, sales leaders, marketing leaders, and some exceptionally successful employees as guest speakers in the sessions. They can speak on any particular subject they are good at. Or they can just deliver a motivational talk. This helps in sparking inspiration and motivation amongst your trainees
4. Facilitate cross-regional/ territorial learning: Share sales lessons and best practices from other regions or territories of your organization with your trainers. Share some good pitching videos and customer success stories from other territories. This cross-pollination of knowledge helps the reps to learn from the best and inculcate some sales best practices in their way of selling.
5. Facilitate Breaks: If your session is longer make sure that you facilitate short breaks of 10 mins after every one hour (apart from the 30 mins break). This ensures that your trainees get some time to stretch and recharge themselves without sitting at one place at a stretch. This is important because breaks help them to recharge themselves and concentrate better in the session
Key Benefits of virtual new product training
Let us now take a look at some key benefits of doing your new product training virtually
Spaced out sessions: When you space out sessions, it really makes for a better adult learning experience. Because this enables people to
Consume learning at their own pace
Extract and retain maximum knowledge out of each session
Build skills one after another
Manage their personal work and professional work along with the training
Space for adjustments: You have the flexibility to make adjustments to the sessions if needed. You can survey your trainers and trainees after each session and find out how their training is going. Based on their feedback you can course-correct things if needed
More practice time for the learners: Trainees get way more practice time. This enables them to
Practice their skills
Learn from each other
Do further research on a subject by themselves
And really fine-tune their skills
Flexibility: Provides greater flexibility to the trainees as virtual training is not time-bound. The recorded training sessions will always be available for the trainees if they aren’t able to attend the live training sessions. Also, since the learning content is delivered to them on their mobile devices, they have the freedom to access and learn anytime and anywhere.
Want to survey your team before beginning the new product training?
Want to know how to boost your product launch with a sales contest?
Looking for a New Product Launch Playbook?
Here are some crucial resources that will help you run your virtual training successfully
Learn how to drive training in the post-pandemic virtual world
Learn how microlearning and knowledge reinforcements support virtual training
Published on Thu Dec 24 2020